Writing consultancy for novels & non-fiction
Maybe I can help… I love working with new and experienced writers on their ideas, manuscripts and pitches – and I’m offering a very limited number of slots for new clients in 2018.
What do I offer?
I can help with your novel, non-fiction idea and even your TV or podcast proposal. I’ve published 18 books around the world and across genres including contemporary fiction, romantic comedy, women’s fiction, Young adult, thrillers, series fiction, health and self-help.
Here are some of the options:
- Idea and story/concept development for novels and non-fiction projects: develop your idea from an initial spark into a fantastic story, or a powerful non-fiction proposal that appeals to readers and publishing professionals alike. I can also advise on factual
TV series and podcast potential.
- Structural and detailed edits of a full-manuscript or opening chapters of novels and non-fiction projects.
- Pitch letters and submission packages: I specialise in helping authors turn their cover letter and first chapters/proposal into a package into something that agents can’t resist, and e-book buyers are clamouring to download.
- Change of direction for experienced authors: I use my knowledge of different genres, and audience insight, to help you look at how you can change direction e.g. new genres, indie publishing and podcasting.
I also work with a small number of writers on an ongoing basis, combining coaching with editing and ideas/story development.
I combine written feedback/line editing, with live video consultancy (including your own recording of the session to watch again as often as you like). I also include a variety of reference materials and sample synopses, proposals and planning tools.
Can I help you?
Your level of experience doesn’t matter! All authors start somewhere. But we’d be a good match if you are:
- Serious about your work: coaching and consultancy is investing in yourself and your ideas – so it’s important to be committed to working together.
- Open to ideas and constructive feedback: the editorial relationship can make your book better if you are willing to learn and collaborate (I’ve learned so much from my own editors).
- Comfortable with working in Word – and on Skype/Zoom (video consultations) for development and coaching consultations. Being able to use the industry standard technology will help you make rapid progress and prepare you for publication.
Are you an expert rather than a writer? I don’t ghost-write for clients, but if you are looking to develop a non-fiction proposal based on your expertise rather than writing talent, we can still work together on a great concept that you can pitch to agents or publishers.
NB: I don’t read or write fantasy, science fiction or erotica, so if you write in those genres, I am not the right mentor or consultant for you.
I have taught and mentored new and experienced writers for over a decade now, and many have achieved publishing deals. I’ve published 18 novels and non-fiction books worldwide, across genres from thrillers and women’s fiction to health and self-help. I also led a team developing TV show ideas, and wrote the BBC Factual manual on ideas development and pitching. I taught creative writing and ideas development at Open University, Kingston University and in-house for the BBC and Shanghai Media Group. I’ve also written the ‘How to write non-fiction’ guide in The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook.
Ready to take the next step with your writing?
Email me – email@example.com – so we can discuss working together: please include a paragraph about the project you’d like to work on and the kind of help you’re looking for, and a paragraph about your experience and goals.
My rates start at £255 (no VAT payable) for a detailed submission package review, including comprehensive written feedback on your first chapters, synopsis, pitch and submission letter, including the option of a 30-minute video conferencing session (recorded for your reference).
For consultancy and coaching, rates vary.
And while you’re here, if you’re a writer, be ahead of the queue and sign up to my club for creatives and writers, for news of workshops and my upcoming online course on pitching your work. I promise not to use your email address for any other purpose, or to share with any other parties.